Saturday, May 10, 2008

Mother's Day

Tomorrow is Mother's Day and as I stood in front of all the cards at Hallmark this morning looking for cards for my sister and step-mom I spaced out. I can only imagined how I must have looked- standing there staring but not really looking. I thought about how silly Mother's Day is and how bad it sucks that I could not find a card for my own mother nor did I want to. Why do we even have Mother's Day anyway?

I wonder how my mom will feel tomorrow when none of her children contact her? Does she even know it's Mother's Day? Does she even care?

1 comment:

4288 Desdemona Way said...

Hi Kristin, it's Allison--Jon's wife. I hope you don't mind that I read some of your entries on your blogspot. I wanted to tell you that I think you are doing a very brave thing. Writing about your experiences and feelings is so important. My dad isn't a drug addict, but I have a very similar relationship with him, or lack thereof is really how to put it. I've been an "adult" child for a long time, just like you. It's hard, it's not fair, and to put it in your words, it just sucks standing there on Mother's Day/Father's Day trying to pick out a card that is respectful but not full of canned phrases that you would never nor could you ever choose to say about your parent. I will say that now that I am a mom, things have changed--I have my own family and a chance to break the pattern that started with my dad's parents and who knows how far down the line. I will pray for you as you figure things out. What to say, what to do, where to draw boundaries, when to speak, when to stay silent. You were right in saying that forgiveness is a choice everyday. Even if we don't feel like it--we can choose it and I think that is the first step in God really healing our hearts and releasing us from the overwhelming feelings connected to our parents. Keep writing--it's good to get those feelings out. It helps you and it helps others. Thank you!