Monday, September 22, 2008

Close Encounters

I just realized that I have almost all the communication that my mom and I have had since April on my phone because it's all been through texting. . . except this one:

On Tuesday I was on my way to meet my sisters at the gym and went into the locker room to change my shirt. I was running about 30 minutes late b/c I was on the phone with this girl I know as an acquaintance and she wanted to know how to get more involved at church. She's single (I'm not), she's got a very busy schedule (I don't), and she really good friends with a girl who's SuperChristian, you know the ones- they never do anything wrong, (I'm not down with these types).  Anyway- I was trying to help her out and becoming more and more late. Sitting there in my car I saw Jimmy aka Most Idiotic Boyfriend of Mom's Ever sitting on a bench outside the gym and thought, "Oh, crap." Mom teaches tonight and there's a good chance she'll be walking out that door at any moment. He was obviously waiting for her. Eff.

I got off the phone fearing that I sounded uninterested in what acquaintance girl had to say and walked to the door. I said hello to Jimmy and tried to act like I was in a hurry. He said something to me but I can't remember what it was because it was unimportant. I checked in and went to the locker room to change my shirt- I had come straight from teaching dance. As I'm pulling my shirt up I see my mom. She is so close. Human contact unavoidable. I feel surprisingly calm. 

"Hi, Mom."

Look of shock on her face, head shake, "hi, [insert pet name here- can't remember which one she used]."

She walked toward me and held out her arms as I pulled my shirt of all the way off and stood there in my leotard.

"Can I have a hug," she didn't think I was going to hug her because it was taking me so long to take my shirt off. 

"Yeah," we hugged. She smelled like she always does: covered in perfume and drugs. Musty.

"It is really good to see you," she says.

"You too." She walks away and then pokes her head back around the corner and says it again, "It was really good to see you." Then she's gone. 

After about 10 minutes of sitting there in shock and hashing out the why's and what's and how's with my sisters one says, "Maybe that wasn't for you. Maybe it was for her." I felt really self-centered in that moment. All I could think about was that I should have said, "no- you can't have a hug." Or I should've gotten a better look at her teeth or body. But maybe it just happened and that's all it is. 




No comments: